Monday, July 26, 2010

a good word.

I've recently been spending some time reading 1 Timothy. I've been using John MacArthur's commentary to aid me when my own interpretation is lacking. Which is often.

This morning, the text was Paul giving his testimony and basically praising God's grace toward him, the "foremost of sinners."

I always appreciate a good discussion on the grace of God (nod to the title of the blog) and MacArthur did not disappoint. He broke down the text into six elements of grace: the source of grace, the need for grace, the power of grace, the extent of grace, the purpose of grace, and the response to grace.

My favorite was this, "Through God's grace, Paul was strengthened. God not only graciously elected him to salvation but also graciously gave him the strength he did not have or deserve, but needed to live out that salvation."

It reminded me of the great truth that all that God asks of us, he provides the grace for us to do it.

What a great and gracious God.

No comments: